The issue of the Apple Watch Exercise Ring not working or the exercise ring not moving is quite common among Apple Watch users.
It is worth noting that for an average user, it is quite handy to have the exercise ring feature in order to track their workouts and keep on track.
It also gives you the motivation to complete the rings so that you can work out even more.
Several users have reported that their Apple Watch Exercise Ring has suddenly stopped working and they don’t know what caused the issue.
Users have also said that they have worked out for an hour or more but the Apple Watch Exercise Rings only show minutes of work out which has frustrated them.
The problem of Apple Watch Exercise Rings not working is not due to one single factor but there could be several factors that could have caused this problem.
So let’s get into why the Apple Watch Exercise Ring has stopped working and what you can do to get it back to a working state.
For an average person, it can be quite difficult to understand what the exact problem is because it could either be a hardware issue or a software issue, or a bit of both.
In this article, we give you 8 different ways in which you can fix the Apple Watch Exercise Rings not working issue.
Table of Contents
[8 Ways] How to Fix Apple Watch Exercise Ring not working
1. Edit your health profile
First of all, you need to edit your health profile which will help your Apple Watch detect your activity and get your exercise rings to start working once again.
These are variables subject to change such as your weight, height, age, gender, daily activities, and more.
It is worth noting that Apple Support also recommends you to update your health profile from time and time and here is how they tell you to do it:
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone or iPad paired to the Apple Watch.
- Tap the My Watch option and tap on the Health option.
- Tap on your Health Profile and click on Edit.
- Once you have updated all your health details, save changes and your health profile will be updated.
Now, you should see that the Apple Watch Exercise Ring has started working once again. If not, the issue could be different so read along to find out other ways to fix this issue.
2. Check the physical state of your Apple Watch
You should note that it is possible that your Apple Watch is not in the best physical state which could be the reason why you are facing this Apple Watch Exercise Ring not working issue.
For example, you are wearing the Apple Watch in an incorrect manner or your hands are sweaty which could also cause the sensors to stop working.
You should follow this checklist while putting your Apple Watch on to ensure that you are doing everything in the correct manner:
- Make sure that the Apple Watch is on your wrist and also ensure that it is not too loose and not too tight. Make sure that the fit is snug.
- Also, make sure that your arm is clean and dry before you put the Apple Watch on.
- To let your Apple Watch record all the details properly, ensure that your watch is worn tightly on your wrist.
- Swing your arms in a natural manner and not fast or too slow can also cause the Apple Watch to miss the movements.
- Once done with your exercise, loosen the Apple Watch as it does not need to track your movements anymore.
A durable resin Apple Watch band can be very useful because it will not cause your wrists to sweat too much which will keep your sensors safe.
This checklist will ensure that your Apple Watch tracks all your movements correctly and your exercise rings should start working again.
3. Check the Settings on your Apple Watch
If you have the wrong settings activated on your Apple Watch then it is obvious that the exercise rings will not work properly as the data will be inaccurate.
So make sure to check the settings of your Apple Watch and ensure that it is set up properly.
Settings such as Motion Calibration, Distance, Wrist Detection, and Heart Rate are all important for your Watch.
To check your Apple Watch Settings, follow these steps:
- If you have an Apple Watch Series 1 or earlier, pair it with your iPhone using Bluetooth. For Apple Watch Series 2 and later, you only need the Watch.
- Make sure to connect your devices to the internet via WiFi or cellular data and ensure that the connection is stable.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings and tap on Privacy. Select the Location Services option and make sure that it is Enabled.
- Inside the Location Services section, tap on System Services and toggle the Motion Calibration & Distance to enable it.
- Go to the iPhone’s home screen and launch the Watch app.
- Tap on My Watch and click on Privacy and toggle the Heart Rate option to enable it.
- Go to My Watch section, tap on Passcode, and toggle the Wrist Detection option to enable it.
- Go to My Watch section once again, click on Workout and make sure Power Saving Mode is disabled. If it is enabled, disable it.
These Settings will make sure that your Apple Watch works correctly and your Exercise Rings will start working properly as your activities will be monitored back again.
4. Select the Right Type of Workout
It is also important to select the right type of workout whether it is walking or running or swimming or whatever you are doing.
You must already know that you can adjust the workout types based on your health profile. Be reasonable with your current physical limitations and only provide values that can be achieved by you.
Here are the current workout types supported by Apple Watch:
- Stair Stepper
- High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
and more …
Choose the right workout type according to your current physical condition and set the goals that can be achieved by you.
If you set your goals too high then it may seem like your exercise rings are not moving but the reality is that you have not achieved even 1% of your goals.
5. Calibrate the Accuracy of Apple Watch
If you have not used the Apple Watch for a long time then it is also possible that the Apple Watch needs to be re-calibrated as its accuracy might have fallen.
Make sure to calibrate your Apple Watch sensors in a way that it gets back on track.
To re-calibrate your Apple Watch, follow these steps:
- Open the Apple Watch application on your iPhone and tap on the Privacy option.
- Choose the option that says Reset Fitness Calibration Data.
- It will ask you to confirm that you want to reset your fitness calibration data. Continue with the process and reset your data.
- Now, you need to force restart your iPhone and Apple Watch and make sure to wear your Apple Watch where there is a good GPS connection.
- Open the Workout app and click on Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run option.
- Just walk at your normal pace for 10-20 minutes and see if the tracking resumes or not.
Most probably, the Apple Watch Exercise Ring not working issue will be solved once you calibrate your Apple Watch accuracy.
6. Update to the latest version of WatchOS
Updating your Apple Watch to the latest version of WatchOS definitely helps in removing any errors that you are facing on the device.
Just like smartphones, Apple Watch also receives updates and you can download them on your iPhone and then update your Apple Watch by pairing it.
To check if the latest version of WatchOS is available on your Apple Watch, follow these steps:
- Connect the Apple Watch to a charger and make sure that it is above 50% charged.
- Plug in your iPhone to a charger and connect it to WiFi.
- Hold your iPhone next to Apple Watch so that they are paired and in the range all the time.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and open the My Watch tab.
- Tap on the General option and then tap Software Update.
- Tap on the Download option and provide a passcode if required.
Once the Apple Watch gets updated to the latest software update available, all the issues will be gone once it restarts.
7. Reset the Watch and Pair it
If your Apple Watch is giving you the same Exercise Rings not working issue even after updating it to the latest version of WatchOS, you can reset your Apple Watch and pair it with your iPhone once again.
To do this, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch and tap on the General option.
- Tap on the Reset option and choose to Erase All Content and Settings.
- Go back to your iPhone, open Apple Watch app, and choose the My Watch tab.
- Find your watch from the list and tap on the (i) icon next to it.
- Next, tap on Unpair Apple Watch and tap to Confirm.
- Now, pair your Apple Watch again by bringing both the iPhone and Apple Watch close together and following the on-screen prompts on your iPhone.
Now that your Apple Watch is reset and paired back once again, you will see that any problem that you were facing will be resolved.
This should also solve your Apple Watch Exercise Ring not working issue and you will now be able to track your exercises in a much better way.
8. Contact Apple Support
If your Apple Watch Exercise Ring not working issue is not solved even after you have reset the Apple Watch and paired it again then there might be a serious issue with your Apple Watch.
In that case, we advise you to contact Apple Support as soon as possible and tell them about the exact issue you are facing.
Make sure that before going to the Apple Store to get your Apple Watch repaired, you still have it under warranty otherwise you will have to pay up for the repair costs.
In order to check if your Apple Watch is still under warranty, go to this warranty check website from Apple and enter your serial number.
In this article, we have told you about the best possible ways in which you can fix the Apple Watch Exercise Rings not working issue.
We have told you about 8 different ways but it is quite possible that you found your solution in the first method itself.
In that case, share this article with your friends and family who are also looking for a solution in this matter and relieve them of this frustration as well.