Many times you may not be able to update your phone the regular way. If you are facing this problem, then you will have to search for an alternative to update your Android phone.
Another way to update your phone apart from the standard way is using ADB Sideload. Many users prefer applying the update from the ADB Sideload.
This is one of the easiest methods to update your phone and can be useful when you are unable to update your phone the normal way.
If you don’t know how to apply updates from ADB sideload then you are at the right place. Applying updates from the ADB sideload is not a difficult task if you have the right guide with you to help you throughout the process.
In this guide, we will be discussing how you can apply updates from ADB Sideload.
Why ADB Can Be Helpful?
ADB means Android Debug Bridge. It is a method to connect your phone to your PC and perform tasks that normally your phone cannot do. Using ADB you can-
- Apply the update to your phone
- Unlock the bootloader
- Push and pull files to and from the system.
Table of Contents
How to apply update from ADB Sideload?
In this part of the article, we will be discussing the complete process to use ADB Sideload to apply the update on your phone.
But before continuing with the process, ensure you do the following things-
Ensure you charge your phone up to 80% or more. This is to ensure that your phone does not switch off in the middle of the process or it can damage your device permanently.
Take a backup of your device to prevent any data loss if it happens.
Download the update file for your phone. You will be needing the update file to update your phone.
Ensure you download the official update file from the official forum/community of your device brand or from the community of the ROM your phone has.
Also, make sure you have the original USB cable of your mobile because you will be needing it in the process.
Ensure you turn on USB debugging on your phone. If you don’t know how to turn on USB debugging on your phone, then follow the steps given below-
- On your phone go to the Settings app.
- In the Settings, head to the About phone section.
- In the About phone section, search for the Build number. Tap on Build number a few times until you see a message at the bottom of your screen ‘You are now a developer’. You will have to tap 5-6 times continuously to turn on developer mode.
- After the developer mode has been turned on, head back to the main menu of the Settings.
- In the main menu of the settings, search for Developer options and open it.
- Here, search for USB Debugging. Select and turn on the USB debugging toggle.
Downloading The Drivers For Windows PC
If you are using a Windows PC, then follow the steps given below to download and install the ADB and fastboot tools-
- Firstly, download the ADB and fastboot tools from this link on your PC.
- After you have downloaded the file, extract it on your PC.
- Now open the folder where you have extracted it, and then double-click on the .exe file in the folder. This will open up the ADB tool.
- Now connect your phone to your PC with the USB cable.
- After you connect your phone to your PC, the ADB tool will display the information of the phone, i.e., manufacturer name, status, and model.
- Now click on the install button to install the ADB and fastboot tools on your PC. You may get a prompt asking to allow USB debugging on your phone. Tap OK to continue ahead.
- This will install the ADB and fastboot tools on your PC.
Downloading The Drivers For Mac
If you are using a Mac, then follow the steps given below to download and install ADB and fastboot tools-
- Download the ADB and fastboot tools for your Mac for this link.
- Extract the Zip file on the Desktop.
- Now open the Terminal on your PC. To do so, right-click on the desktop on Mac, and then click on Terminal to open it.
- In the terminal type cd /Users/name/Desktop/Platform-tools and hit Enter to execute the command.
- Ensure you replace the name with the name of the user saved on the Mac. In this code, the Desktop is the location of the folder if you have extracted the file to the Desktop.
- If you have extracted the file somewhere else, then replace Desktop with it.
- Now connect your phone to your Mac device. Ensure you are using an original cable.
- After connecting your phone to your Mac, type adb devices and hit enter. If you get a pop-up screen asking you to allow USB debugging, enable it.
- Now again type adb devices and you will see a list of devices with random numbers listed here.
Applying Update From ADB Sideload for Windows/Mac
After you have followed the above steps, you can continue with the process to apply updates from ADB sideload.
Follow the steps given below to apply update from ADB Sideload:
- Connect your phone to your PC (Windows or Mac) using the USB cable. Ensure you have downloaded the correct update file for your phone.
- Rename the update file you download to update.zip and copy it to your desktop.
- Now you will have to open terminal windows on your PC. If you are using a Windows PC then, press the Windows + X key combo and from the menu that opens up, click on Windows Terminal (Admin).
- If you are using a Mac, then right-click on the space on the desktop and then click on Terminal to open the terminal.
- Now in the Terminal (for Windows and Mac), type the command adb devices. You will get a prompt to allow USB debugging on your phone. Tap on OK to continue.
- Now in the Terminal, type adb reboot recovery.
- In the recovery mode, select apply update from fastboot.
- In the terminal, type adb sideload update.zip and hit Enter. Update.zip is the update file that we have renamed earlier. If you have not renamed it, then replace update.zip with the actual file name with extension.
- Wait for the process to complete. After the process is completed, you will have successfully updated your phone.
This is how you can apply updates from the ADB Sideload. This method can be useful when you are unable to update your phone in a normal way.
We hope this article helps you with applying the update from the ADB Sideload method. Ensure you follow all the steps correctly to apply the update.