CyanogenMod was a popular custom ROM that was discontinued in the year 2016. It was an open-source custom ROM designed to work on Android phones.
However, after the ROM was discontinued its legacy has been continued by the LineageOS.
LineageOS is one of the best custom ROM that has been made available for all Android devices.
If you are looking for a custom ROM to install on your Asus Zenpad 8.0, then CyanogenMod or LineageOS is one of the best custom ROM that you can go for.
If you want to install CyanogenMod on Asus Zenpad 8.0, then you are probably at the right place.
In this article, we will be discussing how you can install CyanogenMod or LineageOS on Asus Zenpad 8.0.
This will be the step-by-step guide to help you install CyanogenMod on Asus Zenpad 8.0.
Table of Contents
Prerequisites To Take Care Of Before Installing CyanogenMod?
There are certain prerequisites that you will have to take care of. Ensure you take care of the following things before you continue with installing the CyanogenMod on your device-
- Charge your device to 80% or more to ensure it does not turn off in between the process.
- Ensure you take a backup of your device to prevent any data loss.
- Ensure you have a stable internet connection, as you will need it to download the files for the process.
- Download all the files correctly, and do not continue with the corrupt downloads.
How To Install CyanogenMod On Asus Zenpad 8.0?
You will first have to unlock the Bootloader of your phone, install TWRP on your phone, and then continue with installing LineageOS (CyanogenMod).
We have divided the complete process into three steps- unlocking the bootloader, installing TWRP, and installing LineageOS.
Unlocking The Bootloader Of Asus Zenpad 8.0
Firstly, you will have to unlock the bootloader of your device. To unlock the bootloader of Asus Zenpad 8.0, follow the steps given below-
- Head to the Settings of your Zenpad S 8.0.
- In the Settings, head to the About Phone section.
- In the About Phone section, tap on Build number a few times. Tap on it 5-6 times, to turn on Developer Options. Tap on it continuously until you see a message saying ‘You are now a developer.’
- Now head back to the main menu of the settings, and search for Developer Options. Open Developer Options, and here tap on USB Debugging. Enable the toggle for USB debugging.
- Now download the ADB and fastboot tools on your PC. You can download the tool from this link. After downloading the tool, install it on your PC.
- Now connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
- Now reboot your device, and then boot into fastboot mode. To boot to fastboot mode, press the Volume Down + Power Button combo for a few seconds and you will be booted to the fastboot mode.
- Head to the folder where you have installed the ADB and fastboot tools. Open the installation folder of ADB and fastboot tools. In the address bar, type CMD and hit Enter to open Command Prompt.
- Now in the Command Prompt, type fastboot devices to ensure your device is recognized by the PC or not. You should see the serial number of your device, which means your device is unlocked.
- Now, type fastboot OEM unlock. This will unlock the bootloader of your device.
- Now you will have to reboot your phone normally. To do so, type fastboot reboot in the command prompt to reboot your phone with the unlocked bootloader.
Now after you have unlocked the bootloader, you will have to install TWRP recovery on your device. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Download the TWRP recovery image from the official repository.
- After downloading the TWRP recovery image, copy its .img file to the folder where the ADB and fastboot tools is installed.
- Also, copy the TWRP image to the storage of your phone.
- Connect your Asus Zenpad 8.0 to your PC using the cable.
- Head to the folder where the ADB and fastboot tools is installed. In the address bar, type CMD and hit Enter.
- In the Command Prompt, type adb reboot bootloader and hit Enter.
- Now enter the command fastboot boot twrp.img and execute it. Here twrp.img is the name of the TWRP image file. If the name of the file is something else, then you will have to rename it to twrp.img
- Your device will now boot to TWRP recovery mode.
- Here, tap on Install. Now tap on Images and then head to the location where you copied the TWRP image and select it.
- Tap on the Recovery option under the Select partition to flash the image. You will be asked to confirm flashing the image; confirm it.
- After you have confirmed flashing the image, you will get a message on your screen saying Image Flash Completed, and TWRP recovery will be installed on your phone.
Flashing LineageOS (CyanogenMod)
Now that you are done with unlocking your bootloader and also installing TWRP on your phone, you can continue ahead with flashing LineageOS on your device. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Firstly, you will have to download the LineageOS file and the GApps file on your phone. Click on the respective link to download LineagsOS and GApps. Ensure you save them in the storage of your phone.
- Now reboot your phone to recovery mode. To do so, turn off your phone. After it is turned off, press the Volume Down + Power Button key combo to boot to the recovery menu.
- On the main menu of the TWRP, tap on Wipe.
- Now go to Advanced Wipe. Here, select System, Cache, Data, Dalvik Cache /ART, and then swipe to factory reset your device.
- After doing so, go back to the main menu of the TWRP.
- Tap on Install and then head to the location where you save the ZIP file of the LineageOS and select the file.
- You will be headed to the installation screen. Confirm to install LineageOS.
- Now do the same for the GApps.
- Now on the main menu of TWRP, tap on Reboot and then reboot your device normally.
- You will have successfully installed LineageOS on your Asus Zenpad 8.0.
This is how you can install CyanogenMod or LineageOS on your Asus Zenpad 8.0.
Following the above steps, you will be able to install any custom ROM and not only LineageOS on your device.
Ensure you follow all the steps correctly, and do not miss out on any of the steps mentioned here.