If you have faced the problem that your Google Play Services keeps stopping, freezing, or crashing on your Android phone then we feel you because we have been through that same issue.
I know how annoying it is to get that dreaded notification every time that your Google Play Services keeps stopping and you have no option but to click on Close app.
If you have also seen the image attached above on your phone and are frustrated by the same, don’t worry anymore as we will fix the problem in this article.
Table of Contents
What is Google Play Services?
Google Play Services is an integral part of the Android ecosystem and you can say that without Google Play Services, Android will not be able to run properly.
Don’t get us wrong, Google Play Services is not mandatory for Android to run because you can use Android phones without it.
However, if you use Google services such as Google sign-in, Google Photos, Gmail, YouTube, or other apps then you must have Google Play Services installed.
Well, we all need to use Google Play Store so we can say that Google Play Services is essential for all of us.
Google Play Services keeps stopping error is one that occurs when there is a problem inside the Android ecosystem so we need to fix this error for the device to work properly.
How to Fix Google Play Services keeps stopping errors [9 Simple Methods]
If you are facing the Google Play Services keeps stopping error and you most probably are, this guide has 9 troubleshooting methods that will fix your problem without a doubt.
Make sure to try out each and every method in this guide because it is possible that the first one might not work for you but one of these methods will definitely fix the problem.
Method #1: Clear Cache and Data from Google Play Services
The first thing you need to do when you encounter the Google Play Services keeps stopping error is to quickly head over to the phone’s Settings and clear the cache and data of your Google Play Services app.
Don’t worry, we will explain everything in detail:
- Launch the Settings app on your Android phone.
- Go to Apps & Notifications > All Apps and find the Google Play Services app from the list.
- Now, head over to the Storage & Cache section as you can see from the above screenshot.
- Here, click on Clear Cache first of all and follow on-screen instructions to clear Cache memory.
- Now, tap on Clear Storage and again follow the prompts to clear the storage of your Google Play Services app.
- Ensure that both the Cache and Storage are now empty and you can be sure that the cache and storage files have been deleted.
This will remove all the accounts you have stored on your device but the good thing is that it will also solve the Google Play Services keeps stopping error.
If this doesn’t work, follow the methods mentioned below but we have seen that this method works for 99% of users facing this issue.
Method #2: Uninstall Android System Webview Updates
It is possible that Android System Webview, which is also a part of Android and a service integrated with Google Play Services, causes the Google Play Services to stop.
So to solve this error, you need to uninstall updates on the Android System Webview app as follows:
- Launch the Settings app and go to Apps & Notifications.
- Go to Apps & Notifications > Manage Apps and find Android System Webview from the list of apps.
- Inside Android System Webview, click on the three-dot menu at the top and click on Uninstall Updates.
- Proceed with the uninstallation process and your problem should be fixed by now.
This is one of the most effective steps if clearing cache and storage on the Google Play Services app did not work for you.
Method #3: Clear Google Play Store cache
It is possible that the Google Play Services keeps stopping because Google Play Store has cache issues.
The cache memory of each and every app accumulates over time since we don’t clean it regularly. Due to that, some apps crash as they conflict with each other.
So it is best to keep clearing the cache of some of your most important apps on a regular interval.
Anyways, we can clear the cache of the Google Play Store app right now and solve this issue:
- Launch the Settings app on your Android phone.
- Go to Apps > Manage Apps and find Google Play Store app from this list.
- Click on the Clear Cache button and follow the instructions.
- You can also click on Clear Data but that will remove your Google Play Store account so clear data only if you know your account credentials.
This is a method that should help you fix the Google Play Services keeps stopping error.
Method #4: Uninstall Google Chrome Updates
Just like we did with uninstalling Android System Webview, we can also try and uninstall Google Chrome updates because it can also cause issues that could lead to Google Play Services keeps stopping errors.
- So once again, launch the Settings app on your phone.
- Go to Apps > Manage Apps and find the Google Chrome app from the list.
- Click on the three-dot menu at the top right corner and click on Uninstall Updates.
This will uninstall all the recent Google Chrome updates and your problem should be fixed now if it was caused by Google Chrome.
Method #5: Update all your apps
If you have not updated your apps for a long time then it is a good idea to update your apps right now because they could also be the reason why Google Play Services keeps stopping.
- In order to update your apps, head over to Google Play Store.
- Go to the Profile section and click on Manage apps and devices.
- On this screen, you will see if Updates are available or not.
- If they are available, click on Update all and all your apps will be updated one by one.
Updating your apps should fix the Google Play Services keeps stopping error if any outdated app is causing this problem.
Method #6: Reset app preferences
We have found that resetting app preferences will also help to fix the Google Play Services keeps stopping error.
In order to reset app preferences, do the following:
- Launch the Settings app on your phone.
- Go to Apps > Manage Apps and tap on the three-dot menu at the top-right corner.
- Click on Reset App Preferences and confirm your selection to reset app preferences.
Method #7: Remove your Google account
In order to make sure that your Google Play Services keeps stopping error doesn’t occur, you can try and remove the Google account that you have added to the device.
- Go to Settings > Google account and remove the account from your device.
After this, restart your device and you will not see the error again.
Try and enter the same Google account once again and see if the error pops up again. If it doesn’t, you have just solved the problem.
Method #8: Restart or Factory Reset the device.
We have seen that restarting the device when all hopes are lost is the best way to solve a problem in the Android space and the same goes here as well.
You need to restart your device when you face the Google Play Services keeps stopping the error and hopefully, your problem will be fixed.
If that doesn’t solve the error then you can factory reset the device and that will solve the problem for sure.
But make sure to backup your data before you factory reset your device so that no important files are lost during this process.
In this article, we have mentioned all the ways in which you can solve the Google Play Services keeps stopping error.
It is worth noting that the factory reset method will definitely solve your problem but make sure to try other methods as factory reset is not feasible for everyone.
Share this article with someone else you know who is also facing this problem so that they also end their frustration caused by this error.