If you have been facing the HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue then you are at exactly the right place.
Because in this article, we are going to tell you how you can get rid of the HBO Max wont load issue.
It is worth noting that HBO Max is a really big platform and one that has become extremely famous since the pandemic started.
It is also because of the content that HBO Max has which has contributed to its popularity as well.
However, it is disappointing to see that even after paying a premium price for HBO Max subscription, you still face errors such as HBO Max not loading or buffering issues.
One of the most common issues with HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering is when you load any episode from a series and there is nothing you can watch other than the loading spinner as you can see below:
Now, we decided to dig deeper into this matter and found out a few ways in which you can fix the HBO Max not loading issue.
And since we have found the solution, we decided to share these solutions with everyone too.
In this article, you will find the 12 Ways in order to fix the HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue.
Table of Contents
How to Fix HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue
We have seen that the HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue is caused by either the HBO Max servers being offline or if you have a slow internet connection.
There are other reasons as well such as outdated software, incompatible devices and even corrupted cache files so we will try and fix all of these problems in this article down below.
1. Check HBO Max servers
If you are facing the HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue then the first thing to check if there is any issue with HBO Max servers or not.
We have seen that people often overlook the fact that HBO Max servers can also go down and that is the reason why they face this HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue.
To check HBO Max server status, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to DownDetector.com or visit from this link which will take you the dedicated HBO Max server page on their website.
- Here, see if there are any problems at HBO Max or everything looks fine.
If the website shows that there are problems with HBO Max servers then you just need to wait till the servers come back online.
On the other hand, if there are no issues with HBO Max servers then you need to try the other troubleshooting steps to fix the HBO Max not loading error.
2. Try Watching Another show
If you are facing issues with HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering then the next thing you need to do is load another show on the platform.
For example, if you are watching Joker and you face HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue then you need to switch to another movie or show.
In this manner, you can check if the issue is isolated to just one show or if the issue is consistent across the platform.
If you are facing issue with just one show then it is possible that the show might have been removed from the platform or deleted due to copyright issues.
3. Check if your device is supported
HBO Max is a platform where most of the devices are supported but it is quite possible that you are using a device which might not be supported.
In that case, you need to check the HBO Max Help Centre from this link and see which devices are supported on the platform.
If your current device is not supported then you should try and access HBO Max from a supported device.
4. Check your Internet Connection
The next thing you need to do if you are still facing the HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue is to check your internet connection and even reboot your WiFi router if needed.
We have seen that a lot of users facing the HBO Max wont load issue have a slow internet connection or their internet is not working at all.
- In that case, you need to go to Fast.com and check if your Internet Connection is working or not.
- Also, make sure that your internet speed is above 5Mbps in order for HBO Max to work properly.
If your internet is not working properly, you can try to power cycle your internet router in order to fix the issues.
To do that, switch off your router and remove its plug from the outlet and then wait for a few minutes.
Now, switch on the router by plugging in the power cord once again and then see if your internet is working fine or not.
5. Clear your browser cache and cookies
We have seen that a lot of issues with HBO Max or other streaming platforms are caused by temporary browser cache and cookies.
Therefore, it is best if you can also clear your browser’s cache and cookies in order to fix the issue of HBO Max not loading issue.
To clear your browser’s cache and cookies, you need to do the following:
- First of all, open your web browser and open its Settings.
- In this case, we are using Google Chrome so we can guide you on how to clear your browser cache and cookies using the Google Chrome browser.
- After that, go to Privacy and security and then click on Clear browsing data and then click on Clear data to finally clear your browser’s cache and cookies.
Once your browser’s cache and cookies are cleared, close all the tabs and then reopen the browser and load HBO Max and browse any type of content to see if it is working fine or not.
6. Disable browser extensions including Adblockers
If you are using a web browser which also has extensions then we can tell you that HBO Max is a platform that does not like extensions, especially the Adblockers.
So if you are using any browser extensions, you need to disable them all and then try and access HBO Max to see if all the problems are fixed or not.
In order to disable all your browser extensions, follow these steps:
- Go to your preferred web browser and open its Settings.
- Click on the Extensions tab and then disable all of your extensions from the toggle at the top.
- You can disable your extensions one by one as well but it could get tedious if you have too many of them.
After you disable your extensions, reload the web browser and then open HBO Max and see if the website is now loading properly or not.
7. Clear HBO Max app’s cache and data memory
On Android, you have the ability to clear your app’s cache and storage memory and we are going to use that feature.
Sadly, this is not available for iOS devices but we have a solution for that down below so keep reading.
Coming back to Android, you can clear any app’s cache and storage memory in the following manner:
- First of all, open Settings on your device and then click on Apps & Notifications.
- From here, select the HBO Max app and access its Storage tab.
- Click on Clear Data button and then also click on Clear Cache button to remove both cache and data from your device.
Once the HBO Max app’s cache and storage is cleared, you can close the app and then reopen it and then see if all the HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issues are gone or not.
8. Update HBO Max app
If your HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue is not going away, it is possible that there is an update from its developers available for your device but you might not have updated the app due to your busy schedule.
Therefore, you need to update the HBO Max on your device and keep it updated to remove all the bugs.
To check if there is an update available for the HBO Max app, follow these steps:
- Open your Google Play Store or App Store based on the device that you are using.
- Then, go to HBO Max app’s listing and check if it has an update available.
- If there is an update available, tap on the Update button as soon as possible to download and install the update to your device.
Once your HBO Max app is updated, check if the HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue is gone or if the issue is still there.
9. Uninstall HBO Max app
As we mentioned earlier, it is not possible to clear cache and storage on your HBO Max app for iOS devices.
But we do have a solution for that as well. Clearing cache and storage of your app is essentially the same as removing the app and installing it back again.
Therefore, we are going to uninstall the HBO Max app on our iOS devices and then installing it back to reset its cache and memory.
- To do this, go to your iPhone or iPad and long-press the HBO Max app and then click on Delete App button.
- After that, go to your App Store and then open the HBO Max listing by searching for it.
- Then, tap on Get to install the HBO Max app on your device once again.
Now that you have deleted and installed the HBO Max app on your iOS device, enter your login credentials and then see if the HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering is solved or not.
10. Sign out and Sign in back to HBO Max
We have seen that there can be minor issues on HBO Max server-side which could cause troubles with your HBO Max not loading content or your content keeps buffering.
In that case, we have seen that a solution that is found to be working is to sign out and sign in back to HBO Max.
- For that, go to HBOMax.com and click on your account name at the top.
- Select Manage Devices and then click on Sign Out button to sign out from HBO Max.
On your device, you can sign out from the HBO Max app by clicking on the Profile icon and then clicking on Log out.
Once you have signed out of the HBO Max website and app, you need to wait for a few minutes and restart the device as well.
After that, sign in back to the HBO Max website or app and play any of the content available to see if it is working fine or not.
11. Check the number of devices streaming HBO Max
HBO Max only allows up to 5 profiles and the number of devices that can watch HBO Max content simultaneously is only 3.
This means that if you are trying to play content from HBO Max on 4th device then it wont let you play that.
Also, if you are trying to create a 6th profile then that is also not possible on HBO Max app or website.
You will get the “Can’t Play Title” error in that case and also see the “you’re streaming on too many devices” error.
But in some case, we have seen that the HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue is also caused when you are playing on too many devices.
So, you need to check how many streaming devices are connected to your HBO Max account.
- In order to do that, go to HBOMax.com, select your Profile and then click on Manage Devices and you will get the list of all the devices connected to your account.
- If there is any device that you don’t recognize, you can click on Sign Out and your account will be removed from that device.
- You can also click on Sign All Devices Out and then sign in from each device one by one to make sure that no one else has access to your account.
12. Report the problem to HBO Max support
If your HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue is still not solved then you need to report the problem to HBO Max support.
Because they are the best way to troubleshoot what problem you are facing and give you an accurate solution as well.
To contact the HBO Max support team, follow these steps:
- Visit the HBO Max Contact Us page from this link.
- In the Topic selection box, select Troubleshoot & Fix.
- You can select from the four methods which are Chat, Phone, Text or Email.
If you use Twitter on a daily basis and are more comfortable there, you can visit the HBO Max Support Twitter handle from this link and tell your queries via DM.
In this article, we have given you 12 Ways to fix the HBO Max not loading or keeps buffering issue and we know that these steps will definitely solve your problem.
In case you are having any other issues with HBO Max then you can comment your concerns down below and we will get back to you with an appropriate fix for your issue.
Also, share this article with fellow HBO Max users who are also facing these issues so that they can also enjoy HBO Max content.