If you have issues with your HBO Max subtitles not working or your HBO Max captions are out of sync, you have come to the right place.
In this article, we are going to fix the HBO Max Subtitles not working issue and the captions out of sync problem.
For example, if you have just opened the HBO Max app or website to stream your favorite content and find that your subtitles are not working or your captions are out of sync, you will feel frustrated.
Because if you are watching a TV show in a different language that you don’t understand, then subtitles or closed captions are a must.
If the closed captions are out of sync, you will not understand what the characters are saying because while someone else is speaking, the captions will show someone else’s dialogue.
HBO Max users are reporting that their subtitles are not working or their captions are out of sync, which is annoying for them.
However, we are here to tell you that there is a fix to these problems, and we are going to show you how to fix HBO Max not working or the captions out of sync issue in this article.
Table of Contents
How to Fix HBO Max Subtitles not working or Captions out of sync?
There are a few fixes that you can perform in order to solve the HBO Max subtitles not working or captions out of sync issue, and we are going to give you a detailed guide down below, so make sure to follow and implement each and every step, and we are sure that your issue will be fixed.
However, we must tell you that there are different types of issues with HBO Max subtitles not working or captions out of sync issue that we have mentioned down below:
- The subtitles are unavailable
- Subtitles appear with a slight delay
- Subtitles don’t appear at all
- Captions are unreadable
- HBO Max app crashes when CC is enabled
- Captions out of sync compared to audio
Now that you know about the issues that users on HBO Max have encountered, we will also give you the solution to these issues.
1. Restart and Reload the HBO Max app or website
The simplest way to fix the HBO Max subtitles not working or captions out of sync issue is to restart or reload the HBO Max app or website.
This is the best way to clear any bugs that might be inside the system and give the HBO Max servers a refresh so that they can sort out all the issues they might be having.
It is also worth noting that most of the major problems in the world can be fixed or sorted out with a simple restart or reboot, which is the case with HBO Max as well.
So, to restart the HBO Max app on iOS or Android, follow these steps:
- On your Android or iOS device, close the HBO Max app that you have opened.
- After that, clear the HBO Max app from your Recent App Switcher so that it can be cleared from memory.
- Once that is done, open the HBO Max app on your device to see if the problems are fixed or not.
To reload the HBO Max website, simply reload the HBOMax.com webpage on your web browser by pressing the F5 button or the reload icon.
2. Check HBO Max Server Status
The next thing you need to do when your HBO Max subtitles are not working, or captions are out of sync is to check the HBO Max server status.
It is possible that the HBO Max servers are having issues, or they are not working at all, and you are trying to troubleshoot the non-existent problems.
Because if the HBO Max servers are down, neither the subtitles nor the captions will work, and even your content will not load properly.
To check the HBO Max server status, follow these steps:
- Go to DownDetector.com and check the dedicated HBO Max server page from here.
- This website will show you if HBO Max servers are having issues or not.
If there are issues at HBO Max, then sit back and relax as the issues will be fixed but if there are no issues and the HBO Max servers are working fine, follow this guide to implement the other fixes.
3. Check your Internet Connection
We have seen that the HBO Max users who were having trouble with their subtitles not working or captions out of sync had trouble with their internet connection.
If your internet connection is slow, then the subtitles will not load properly, or the captions will be out of sync due to the delay in propagation between the servers and your device.
- In order to check if your internet connection is working fine or not, go to Fast.com, and the website will start scanning your internet automatically.
- Once the results are generated, you can see how much speed you are getting.
- If your speeds are above 5Mbps, then your internet is not a problem, but if it is below that, you will face issues because of your internet.
4. Sign Out and Sign In to HBO Max
There are temporary caching issues with the HBO Max servers that can create troubles with your overall experience of watching the content.
We have also seen that sometimes, misconfiguration inside the server at HBO Max can create problems with your account.
So, we have found that if you sign out and then sign in to HBO Max, the problems can be fixed.
To sign out and sign-in on the HBO Max website, follow these steps:
- Open the HBO Max website where you are already logged in with your account credentials.
- Make sure to click on the top-right corner and go to your Profile.
- Now, click on Manage Devices and go to Sign All Devices Out, and all your devices will be logged out of HBO Max.
To sign out and sign-in on the HBO Max app, follow these steps:
- Open the HBO Max app on your phone and go to the Profile section.
- Now, click on Manage Devices and tap on Sign All Devices out button to log out every device from HBO Max.
Now that you have removed all the devices from your app and the website, you can safely log in to HBO Max using each device and see if the errors get fixed.
5. Clear browser cache
It is also possible that you are having issues with your HBO Max website because your browser has an issue with a corrupted cache or there is an outdated version of the cache available to the browser.
It is always advisable to clear the browser cache so that each and every website loads properly on your system without facing any issues.
To clear the browser cache, follow these steps:
- Open your web browsers, such as Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, and go to its Settings.
- Now, click on Privacy and Security and then click on Clear browsing data.
- After that, click on Clear Data, and all your cache will be cleared so that you face no problems with cache anymore.
Remember that once you clear the cache from your browser, every website will take time the first time you load it, so don’t worry, as this is absolutely normal.
6. Clear the HBO Max app’s cache
Since we cleared the cache inside our browser, the HBO Max website will work properly, but if you are using the HBO Max app, you need to clear its app cache separately.
In order to clear the HBO Max app’s cache, you will need to use an Android phone because clearing the cache on iOS is not possible so far.
To clear the HBO Max app’s cache on Android, follow these steps:
- Go to your phone’s Settings and then click on Apps and Notifications.
- Search for the HBO Max app and then click on Storage.
- Now, click on Clear Cache and then click on Clear Data as well.
- Close the HBO Max app now and then restart the app.
Check if the app is working fine and load your favorite show to see if subtitles are working properly.
7. Update the HBO Max app
One of the best solutions to any problem is to update that particular software or app, and similarly, you can update the HBO Max app as well.
Since the developers at HBO Max are working hard to provide updates to fix bugs and make the platform better, you should update your app regularly.
To update the HBO Max app, follow these steps:
- Go to your Google Play Store on Android and App Store on iOS and search for HBO Max.
- Now, check if there is an update available for the app or not.
- If you see the Update button, tap on it as soon as possible to download and install the updated version of HBO Max to your device.
Once the app is updated, you will feel the difference in performance and see if the subtitles not working issue is also solved or not.
8. Uninstall and Reinstall the HBO Max app
Since clearing cache is not possible on iOS, we only have the option of removing the app from our device and then installing it back again.
This can be done for Android devices as well, even though we have already cleared the cache of the HBO Max app.
- To uninstall or delete the HBO Max app on any device, just long-press the app icon, and you will see a list of options.
- Click on Delete app or Uninstall in order to remove the app from your device.
- Now, go to your respective app stores, such as Google Play Store or App Store, and search for the HBO Max app.
- Then, download the HBO Max app to your device once again.
Once the app is installed, open the HBO Max app on your phone and make sure that everything is working fine now.
9. Report the problem to HBO Max Support
If you have tried everything that we have mentioned above and still your HBO Max subtitles are not working, or the captions out of sync issue is as it is, you need to report the problem to HBO Max support.
In order to report the problem to HBO Max support, follow these steps:
- Visit the HBO Max Contact Us page from this link.
- Now, click on the Topic selection box and select Troubleshooting & Fix from the list.
- After that, click on either of the four methods for communication as Chat, Text, Phone, or Email.
This is how you can contact the HBO Max support team and tell them about your issue in detail so that they can check the problem and fix the troubles.
In this article, we have mentioned the 9 possible ways to fix the HBO Max subtitles not working or the captions out of sync issue.
Since we know that subtitles are extremely important to all of us, we know that this is a major issue that needs to be fixed quickly.
Therefore, make sure to implement these fixes on your end, and we hope that your problems go away as soon as possible.
Feel free to share this article with your friends and family who are having problems with HBO Max subtitles not working or captions out of sync to know the solutions.