Smartphones have evolved at an unparalleled rate with a concerning focus on cameras.
It’s a no-brainer that nowadays several budget smartphones with numerous types of modes and lenses allow you to take incredible pictures.
If you’ve ever tried churning out amazing snaps using your smartphone, you might have already heard about Google Camera.
Also Read: Best Custom ROMs for OnePlus 7 Pro in 2021
It’s an application designed specifically for Pixel Smartphones, that claims to offer the most prominent pictures by several android enthusiasts.
What’s even interesting is that open-source developers have ported this application for various devices with varying configurations, including the OnePlus 7 and the OnePlus 7 Pro with Sony’s 48-Megapixel IMX 586 sensor.
To take your smartphone photography skills to a whole new level, you may consider installing the ported version of Google Camera in your OnePlus device and enjoy the unbelievable image processing algorithm of pioneering tech-giant Google.
Table of Contents
Why Do You Need Google Camera Port for OnePlus Devices?
As you may already know, the range of smartphones offered by OnePlus provides an exceptional set of features and a par-level performance at a very genuine price.
However, the device still lacks proper optics that makes its camera a major downfall for its users.
Its predecessor named OnePlus 6T received a lot of mixed review from critiques that led the company to upgrade the sensors on its succeeding devices i.e., OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro.
Also Read: Best Custom ROMs for OnePlus 8 Pro in 2021
Unfortunately, the efforts still remain inconsistent, with virtually little or no progression at all.
If you are still not convinced, we thankfully have samples from photos clicked using OnePlus Stock Camera along with the photo clicked using the same OnePlus 7 Pro but with Gcam installed.
All the credits for these photos go to an XDA member named Maverick who let everyone see what the actual difference installing Gcam makes on your OnePlus devices including the OnePlus 7 Pro
As you can see from the left and right images above, the image on the right taken by the Gcam OnePlus 7 Pro is way better than the image taken from its stock OnePlus 7 Pro.
You can see that the darks are much darker on the Gcam photo as well as there is a lot more detail in the image while the contrast for the outside view above the dashboard is also much better than the stock camera app.
It’s not even close to the camera quality offered by devices like Huawei and Google Pixel, but you can still conduct a quick fix by installing Google Camera, abbreviated as G-Cam.
With that said, let’s take a look at how can you install a ported version of Google Camera for OnePlus Devices.
Installing GCam on OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro – Stepwise Instructions
The procedure to download and install Google Camera in your triple-camera enabled OnePlus smartphones is pretty straightforward and doesn’t involve any complexity at all.
Follow the steps given below in the respective order to complete the process in no time:
- Firstly, you need to download the ported version of Google Camera and install it on your device.
Note: the download will start immediately when you click on the link above
- Once the APK file has been downloaded successfully, you need to navigate to the path where the file is located.
- If you downloaded the app using chrome browser, you can find it in the Downloads folder, located in the File Manager of your smartphone.
- Alternatively, in case you’re using any other browser, make sure you know about its downloaded file location.
- While installing the application, you also need to make sure that you allow the installation of applications from unknown sources.
- It can be enabled by navigating to Settings > Security > Unknown Sources Installation and moving the slider to the right side of your device.
- After tweaking the settings, you may proceed with the installation of Google Camera by tapping on the downloaded file, followed by the “Install” option.
- As soon as the installation process finishes, you can proceed with the further steps.
While the ported application works perfectly fine on a majority of devices, some specific smartphones require a configuration file to apply a handful of presets that ensure you make the most out of Google Camera with a great experience.
This configuration file is necessary because several smartphones, including OnePlus, provide at least a couple of rare cameras, which is surely not the case with Pixel Smartphones.
For example, OnePlus devices such as the OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro come with an ultrawide camera which is not present on Google Pixel devices.
In order to make use of the ultrawide camera on your OnePlus 7 Pro inside Gcam, you need to import a config XML file.
With these files configured on your device, the application will be able to detect the required hardware easily.
Although there still might be some features that may not work for you, the open-source developers’ community at XDA keeps bringing newer updates to make your experience even smoother.
After downloading the device-specific configuration file successfully through your preferred internet browser, you need to relocate it to a specified folder in your smartphone’s internal storage to allow Google Camera to detect it appropriately.
- Navigate to the download location of the configuration file using your desired file manager and look for a file with an XML extension.
- After finding it, tap and hold it for a couple of seconds to reveal a floating menu with actions you can perform on the file.
- Out of the various menu items, you need to choose the “Move To” option, after which you’ll be asked to choose a folder.
- While you’re at the root of your internal shared storage, you need to tap on the “Create” option located at the top-right corner of your screen.
- This will allow you to create a new folder that requires to be named “GCam”, but this is not where we need to move the file.
- You need to access the newly created folder and create a sub-folder named Config, where the downloaded XML file will be moved.
- To move the file properly, you need to be in the “Config” folder you created recently, and tap the “Move Here” option located at the bottom-center part of your screen.
- After moving the file successfully, you’ll be automatically redirected to the downloads folder.
- Now when you’ve completed the initial setup process, it’s time to set up the application and finally make it work.
- This is also the last step after which you’ll be able to use the Google Camera port on your OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro devices.
- Begin the setup process by opening the application, and tapping twice on the screen are around the shutter to reveal the config menu.
- The device will automatically detect the configuration file you moved in step three, and all you need to do is choose the “Restore” option on the popup that appears.
- After selecting the config file, the application will restart automatically and apply all the necessary settings.
- The whole process is automated afterward, and as soon as it finishes, you can begin using this ported version of Google Camera to capture some amazing pictures.
As you have successfully completed the setup process and the application is ready to use, you surely deserve to walk through the several capabilities and cool features that this application provides. Make sure you try the iconic “Night Sight” mode to take impressive photos in low-light areas.
While the OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro are some of the best smartphones with various advanced features and specifications, camera quality is surely something you should never compromise on. If you own any of the formerly mentioned devices, you must install Google Camera to click mesmerizing pictures.