Locking a channel keeps the channel visible but prevents users from sending messages or other content in the group.
This can be helpful when you want your Discord channel to keep the channel from off-topic conversations. Locking a Discord channel is easy, and you can do it either from your PC or from your phone.
If you are looking forward to locking a Discord Channel, then this article will help you with that. In this article, we will be discussing how to lock a Discord channel.
Table of Contents
Lock A Discord Channel Using PC
If you are using a PC (Windows or Mac), and you want to lock the Discord channel using your PC, then you do have the option to do that. Follow the steps given below to lock a Discord Channel using PC-
- Open the Discord app on your PC or head to the Discord website on your PC. If you are not already signed into your account, then you will have to do so before you can continue.
- Head to the server which has the channel that you are host to.
- Now click on the Settings (gear) icon next to the channel that you are looking forward to locking.
- Click on the Permissions option from the menu that opens up.
- On the right side, under the Roles/Members section under Advanced Permissions, click on @everyone.
- Here, click on the green tick next to the View Channel option to enable it, and select the red cross next to every other option in the category to disable the option.
- Next under the Text Channel Permissions section on the right side, allow the Read Message History option by clicking on the green tick next to it. Also, disable all the other options in this section by clicking on the red cross icon next to the options.
- Click on the Save Changes button at the bottom of your screen. This will lock the channel.
This will lock the channel on Discord. However, if you want to allow some members with the permissions in the channel, then you can add those members from under the Roles/Members option. Simply add those members here, and then allow and deny the permissions.
Lock A Discord Channel Using Phone
In case, if you want to lock the Discord channel on your phone and tablet (Android or iOS), you can do that as well. To lock a Discord channel using a phone or PC, follow the steps given below-
- Firstly, open the Discord app on your device.
- Click on the menu icon (hamburger icon) at the top left corner of the screen.
- Now, tap the server which has the channel you are host to.
- Click on the Three Ellipses at the top of the screen, next to the server name.
- On the screen, tap on the Server Settings, and then click on the Roles. Tap at the + button at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap the blank under the Role Name. Next, select the permissions for the new role. Tap on the checkbox next to the permission you want to give to the new.
- After tap on the back option until you are on the Server Settings screen.
- Tap on the Channels option. Select the channel you want to lock, and then tap on the three ellipses on the top right corner of the screen.
- Next, tap on the Permissions option, and then tap Add a Role.
- Tap on the new role you created. Allow all the permissions for this role. Tap on the green checkmark next to all the permissions in this list.
- Next, tap on the Save icon to save the changes.
- Head back to the Channel Settings screen.
- Here, tap on Add a Role, and then tap on Everyone.
- Disable all the permissions in the list. To do so, tap on the red cross next to the permissions in the list.
- Tap on the Save icon to save the changes, and then head back to Channel Settings menu.
- Next, tap on Members under the User Management header.
- Tap on the three ellipses next to the member you want to be able to access the channel, and then select the admin role you created.
This will lock the Discord channel using your phone or tablet.
If you want to lock the Discord channel, then you can follow the steps in this article. We have discussed the complete step-by-step process to lock the Discord channel using your phone or your PC.