In order to locate your lost Chromebook, you must be looking for ways because it is an important device after all.
It is well-known that with advances in technology, we have reached a stage where data theft, identity theft, and physically stealing devices have been at an all-time high.
Unfortunately, if you also suffered from your Chromebook being stolen then you have come to the right place because we are going to track your Chromebook and let you know how you can do the same in this article.
Table of Contents
How to track a lost or stolen Chromebook?
There are different ways in which you can track and locate your Chromebook and in this guide, we will show you all the possible ways:
Using Google Account to track lost or stolen Chromebook
As we mentioned earlier, there are different ways in which you can track your Chromebook and the first method is to use your Google account to track your device.
Follow these steps and you can learn how you can do the same:
- Sign In to your Google account from a different device.
- Go to the Security option on your account and visit the section named Your Devices and it will show a list of all devices that you have used to log in to your Google account.
- From these devices, your Chromebook will also be listed. Select your Chromebook under Manage Devices.
- A separate page showing different details of your Chromebook will be shown and you can even find the exact coordinates of the current location of your device.
- You can also use the device’s IP address to track all the activities that have been performed on your device.
- If you want to make the device unusable then what you can do is select to sign out of this device and disconnect it.
In this way, your device will be disconnected and since Google Account is a must to use Chromebook, the device will become unusable until and unless the device is factory reset.
Establishing a remote connection to track the lost or stolen Chromebook
One great thing about Chromebook is that Google can control how it runs and we know that Google likes to add great new features to their devices.
One such awesome feature is the ability to establish a remote connection with your Chromebook even if you are not physically using the device.
This comes in handy when your device is lost or stolen as you can set up a remote connection to communicate with the device.
If you have a Chromebook and you have not set this feature up then do it right now. Go to remotedesktop.google.com on your Chromebook and click on the option of Get Support.
Anyways, for those who have lost their Chromebook and have enabled the ability to establish a remote connection, here is the guide you need to follow:
- There will be a prompt that says that you need to add Chrome Remote Desktop as an extension in your Chrome browser. Complete the process and your extension will be set up.
- An access code will be displayed on the Remote Desktop Window which you can note down.
- Go to any other device to establish a remote desktop connection to your Chromebook and go to remotedesktop.google.com.
- On your other device, click on Give Support and enter the code that you have noted down.
- Confirm your decision and your remote connection will be established which will let you connect to the Chromebook.
In this article, we have told you how you can track and locate your Chromebook using either your Google account or via establishing a remote connection with your Chromebook.
Do note that establishing a remote connection has some limitations so using the Google Account to track your Chromebook is the best and most viable solution right now.