Do you want to install custom recovery like TWRP on Nexus 5X? Well, that’s not a pretty tough job to do if you have the right guide to help you out.
If you are looking out to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP recovery on Nexus 5X, then this guide will help you out.
In this guide, we will be discussing the step-by-step process to unlock the bootloader on Nexus 5X and Install TWRP recovery.
Table of Contents
What To Do Before Starting With The Process?
There are certain things that you should take care of while and before unlocking the bootloader and also when installing TWRP recovery on Nexus 5X.
- Ensure that you have the backup of your phone. Unlocking the OEM bootloader wipes up all the data of your phone, and if you haven’t taken the backup of your phone, you will eventually lose all of your data.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% or more. If your phone is not charged, and the process gets interrupted in between, this can hard brick your device.
- Next, ensure you download the latest Google USB drivers from the official website. Google USB drivers can be used for ADB debugging on Google Devices.
- Next, download the ADB and Fastboot drivers and install them on your PC.
- Download the supported TWRP recovery image for your device.
- You can search for your device on the TWRP website, and download the .img file.
- You can also download the unofficial image from Android forums available online if there are problems with the official file.
In case your device is affected by the Bootloop of death issue, you can use 4 core TWRP instead of official TWRP recovery.
The official recovery can be used if you will root the stock environment.
Steps To Unlock The Bootloader on Nexus 5x
Before you get started with the process of installing TWRP image on your Nexus 5X, you will have to unlock the bootloader.
You can unlock the OEM bootloader on your Nexus 5X device by following the steps given below:
- Go to the settings of your phone. In the settings, visit System, and then the About Phone section or your phone.
- In the About phone section, click on Build Number a few times to turn on Developer options.
- When the developer options are turned on, you will see a message, ‘You are now a developer.’
- Now head back to the main menu of the settings, and then to the system. In the system, you will find developer options.
- Search for the turn-on OEM unlocking toggle and enable it. Ensure USB debugging is turned on your device.
- Also, make sure the USB drivers for your device are installed.
- After the OEM unlocking is enabled, you can now unlock the bootloader on your device. This can be done via the Fastboot method.
- Switch off your phone, and then press the Volume Down + Power Button combo for a few seconds.
- Once in Fastboot mode, connect your Nexus 5X with a USB cable.
- Now open the command line window on your PC, and type the command fastboot devices to ensure that your device is recognized by your PC. If the drivers for the phone are not installed, your PC will not be able to recognize the device. After you execute the command, it will return the unique ID of your device.
- After that, type the command mentioned below to unlock the bootloader on your device.
fastboot flashing unlock
- After you enter the command, you see a message on your phone screen to confirm whether to unlock the bootloader or not.
- Select yes using the volume button, and confirm it by pressing the power button.
You will be able to successfully unlock the bootloader on your phone, and whenever you unlock your phone, you will see a bootloader unlock warning.
Installing The TWRP Recovery Image on Nexus 5x
Let’s get started with the process of installing TWRP recovery images on your device.
- Make sure you have downloaded the corrected TWRP image for your Nexus 5X device.
- Change the TWRP file name to n5xtwrp.img, and don’t change the file extension. Ensure USB debugging is on.
- Connect your phone to your PC while your phone is in Bootloader mode.
- Launch the command-line window on your computer, and type in the command fastboot devices to verify the device and PC connection over Fastboot.
- Then type in the command mentioned below to flash the recovery image onto your device.
fastboot flash recovery n5xtwrp.img
- TWRP recovery image will be installed on your phone. Next, boot your phone into the TWRP recovery mode.
- Simply tap the volume buttons, until recovery mode shows up on the Fastboot screen.
- When you boot into the TWRP recovery mode for the first time, you will be prompt to the unmodified system partition.
- This screen will ask you whether to allow modifications or keep the system partition read-only.
You can prefer decrypting the data partition on the phone. This is essential if you plan to flash custom ROMs on your phone.
To do this, boot to TWRP mode, and go to the Wipe menu, and then select format data.
You will have to confirm it by typing yes in the given field and confirm it.
Once done go to reboot and then select the recovery option to reboot to TWRP mode.
This is how you can unlock the bootloader and install the TWRP recovery image on your Nexus 5X device. Hope you didn’t face any problem with the process.