Rooting can give you complete access to your phone. You can delete system apps, add custom ROMs, and whatnot.
Many people prefer rooting your device to have complete access to the features. If you are looking for a way to root your Samsung Galaxy Note 8, then you are at the right place.
In this article, we will be discussing how you can root your Samsung Galaxy Note 8.
This article will also be discussing how you can install TWRP recovery on your phone, which is an essential tool that will help you with rooting your phone.
TWRP is a recovery image that you can install on your phone over the stock recovery image that your phone has.
The stock recovery image that your phone comes with is limited by the features it offers, that’s why people prefer using custom recovery images like TWRP recovery.
Table of Contents
Files To Download
There are certain files that you will have to download. These files and software will be required during the process of rooting your phone.
Given below is the list of all the files that you will have to download to root your Samsung Galaxy Note 8-
Before you continue with the process, make sure you have downloaded these files. Once you have downloaded these files, you can continue ahead.
Also, install Odin on your PC which is essential software for rooting Samsung devices.
Things To Know?
There are few things that you should take care of when you are rooting your device, such as-
- Have a complete backup of your device. Know that installing TWRP recovery and rooting your Samsung Galaxy Note 8 will delete all the data on your phone.
- So before you start with the process of rooting your device, ensure that you have the data on your phone backed up.
- Charge your phone to 80% or more. You won’t be able to charge your phone in between the process, and if it gets shut down in the middle of the process, then it can lead to hard bricking the device.
- So ensure your phone is charged to a minimum of 50% in the worst case.
- Know that rooting your device will void its warranty. In case your phone is new, and you do not want its warranty to get void then you must not root your device.
- Make sure the correct Samsung USB drivers are installed on your computer. You can download the latest USB drivers for your Samsung phone from here.
How to Install TWRP Recovery And Root Your Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Now that you have everything ready, we can continue ahead with installing TWRP recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and rooting it. So let’s get started.
Steps to unlock bootloader on Samsung Galaxy Note 8
- Firstly, you will have to unlock the OEM bootloader on your phone.
- If you have never rooted your phone then the bootloader of the phone will be locked by default.
- You can easily unlock the bootloader on your phone by following the steps given below-
- Visit the settings of your phone, and then head to the about phone section on your phone. In the about phone section, click on the software information, and tap on ‘build number’ a few times.
- You will see a notification stating ‘You are now a developer’ at the bottom of your screen; this will enable the developer options on your phone.
- Now, head back to the Settings menu, and search for developer options.
- Visit the developer options in the settings menu, and then look for the OEM Unlocking toggle, and turn it on.
- This will allow you to unlock the OEM bootloader. Also ensure, USB debugging is turned on. You will find this option in the developer options.
- After unlocking the OEM bootloader, you will have to boot your phone to download mode. Turn off your mobile phone, and then press the volume down + power button + Bixby button combo for a few seconds. You will see a blue colored-screen appear. Now press the volume up button to continue in download mode. Connect your phone to your computer via the USB cable while it is still in Download mode.
- Now launch the Odin on your PC. Odin will automatically identify your Galaxy Note 8 connected to it.
- In the TWRP window, click on the AP button. This will open the file selection window.
- Now head to the location where you have downloaded the TWRP recovery file and select it.
- Next, click the options tab and then uncheck auto reboot. Click on the start button to start installing the TWRP.
- Once the process is done you will see a ‘Pass’ message on the Odin window. This means that TWRP recovery is successfully installed on your device.
Steps to root your Samsung Galaxy Note 8
- Now you will have to boot to the TWRP recovery mode in order to proceed with the rooting process.
- First, hold the volume down + Bixby + Power button for a few seconds to exit the download mode.
- As the screen turns off, release the volume done key and quickly hold the volume up key. You will see the TWRP screen on your phone.
- Next, you will have to format the data partition. To do this click on the Wipe option on the TWRP screen. You will be asked for confirmation. Type ‘yes’ to confirm the format.
- This will format the data partition, and your phone will boot back to recovery mode.
- Now you will have to disable encryption and prevent the KG/RMM from triggering. Make sure your phone is connected to your computer using the USB cable.
- In the TWRP mode, go to the ‘Mount’ menu, and enable MTP. Now head back to the main page of TWRP and copy DM verity, RMM Bypass, and Magisk files to the internal storage of your computer.
- If you are unable to do it, reboot the system normally, turn on file transfer, copy the file, and reboot to TWRP recovery mode.
- Now in the TWRP recovery mode, click on the Install option, and head to the DM verity file, and then click on add more zips and then select RMM bypass file.
- Both the files will be added to the install queue. Flash the files.
- Next, install Magisk on your device. While still in TWRP mode, head to the install section and select the Magisk file which you copied earlier, and install it.
- Now reboot your system in the normal way. Your device will be rooted.
That’s how you can install TWRP recovery and root your Samsung Galaxy Note 8. The process isn’t too difficult.
Make sure you follow every step and do not miss even a single step, as this can lead to failure of the device, and may damage it.