Unlocking the bootloader is different from rooting your device. Unlocking your phone will allow you to install custom recovery and custom ROMs on the phone.
Moreover, after unlocking the bootloader, you will be able to root your device as well. Some OEM manufacturers do not allow rooting the device if the bootloader is not unlocked.
Unlocking the bootloader has various benefits, which sets it apart from rooting.
If you don’t want to root your device, but you just want to install custom recovery images or custom ROMs then you can unlock your phone and you will be able to do so.
Unlocking the bootloader is easy, and if you want to unlock the bootloader of the LG Stylo 4, then there is nothing to worry about that.
In this article, we will be discussing the working steps to unlock the bootloader on LG Stylo 4.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Unlocking Bootloader On LG Stylo 4
There are various advantages as well as disadvantages of unlocking the bootloader on LG Stylo 4.
Given below are few advantages of unlocking bootloader on LG Stylo 4-
- You will be able to install custom ROMs on your device. If you want to try some other ROM apart from the stock ROM installed on your phone.
- You can also install custom recovery like TWRP on your device.
- Unlocking bootloader gives users the ability to install a custom kernel to enhance the performance of the device.
- You can root LG Stylo 4 after you have unlocked the bootloader.
Given below are a few disadvantages of unlocking bootloader-
- If the process is disturbed in between then your device can be permanently stuck in the boot loop.
- Unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty of the device.
What To Know Before Unlocking The Bootloader of LG Stylo 4
There are certain things that you will have to ensure before you continue with the process of unlocking your device-
- Ensure your device is charged up to 80% or more than that.
- Take a backup of your data on your device before you continue with the process of rooting the device.
- Download ADB and Fastboot on your PC and install them. You can download the ADB and Fastboot from this link.
- Ensure you have the original cable with you, which enables data transfer.
Table of Contents
Unlocking The Bootloader Of LG Stylo 4
Now that you know certain things to help you root the device, you can continue with the process of unlocking the bootloader of your device.
Ensure you have downloaded and installed the ADB and fastboot drivers on your PC. Download the file from the link given above, and then execute the setup to install it.
Now you will have to turn on USB debugging on your device. You can do it by following the steps given below:
- On your LG Stylo 4, head to the Settings app. In the Settings app head to the About phone section.
- Here you will see the Build number. You will have to tap on it a few times. Tap on build number continuously 5-6 times until you see a notification at the bottom of the screen saying ‘You are now a developer!.’After you see this notification, head back to the main menu of the Settings. Here head to the Developer options and open it.
- In the Developer options, search for USB debugging toggle. Enable the USB debugging toggle to enable USB debugging on your PC.
Now note down the IMEI number of your phone. You can do so by dialing *#06# on the dialer pad on your phone. Note down the IMEI number of your phone.
After you have done so, connect your phone to your PC via the USB cable.
In the Start menu of your PC, search for CMD. Right-click on the Command Prompt and then click on Run as administrator to give administrative privileges to the Command Prompt.
Now in the command prompt, type the command adb reboot bootloader.
You will need the device ID to continue with the process of rooting your device. To know your device ID, type the command fast oem device-id and hit Enter. You will get two IDs, you will have to paste them together.
Now copy the device ID as well as the IMEI number of your device. Head to the LG Dev Website. Here scroll down to find the Start Unlocking Bootloader option.
You will be asked to fill in some details. Fill in the details you are asked to fill. You will be asked to paste the Device ID as well as the IMEI number of your device here.
Paste the details and tap on Confirm.
You will now get the mail from the LG. This mail will have the file to help you unlock your phone. The file will be named unlock.bin. Download this file on your PC.
Now in the Command Prompt, type the command fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin and hit Enter to execute the command.
If the file name is something else, then replace the unlock.bin with the actual file name.
After this, type fastboot reboot in the command prompt and hit Enter.
This is the last step to unlocking the device, and your device will be rooted after being successfully unlocked.
This is the working method to unlock LG Stylo 4. Following the method mentioned in this article, you will be able to unlock your LG Stylo 4 without any issue.
Ensure that you follow the steps correctly, and only then you will be able to successfully root your device.