Samsung Galaxy SM-G950U or Samsung Galaxy S8 was a flagship phone released by Samsung in 2017. However, the phone is now discontinued by Samsung, but you will still find many people using it.
Even in 2021, Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U is not a bad phone to be used as a secondary device or a phone just for basic purposes.
The phone came with 4GB RAM and Samsung Exynos 8895 with Android 7.0 out of the box.
However, the software has been upgraded to Android 9.0 and after that, the phone didn’t have any Android upgrade, because of which it misses out on so many features.
To get all the features and to be able to customize the phone, many people prefer unlocking the bootloader of their devices.
If you are using Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U, then you may want to unlock your device. Unlocking the bootloader isn’t a difficult task, and it comes with various benefits like being able to install custom ROM, customizing the look of the device as per your preference.
If you are looking forward to unlocking the bootloader of the Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U, then we are here to help you with that.
In this article, we will be guiding you with the complete process to unlock the bootloader of your SM-G950U.
Table of Contents
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Unlocking Bootloader
Unlocking the bootloader has its advantages, but you need to know that nothing comes without disadvantages.
However, if you have made your mind to unlock your devices, then the disadvantages over the advantages of unlocking the bootloader of SM-G950U won’t let you change your decision.
- Unlocking bootloader allows you to install custom recovery like TWRP on your device.
- Many devices require an unlocked bootloader to be able to root the device. If you want to root your device, then you may have to unlock the bootloader of it first.
- Unlocked bootloader gives you the ability to install any custom ROM that you want to. You can install custom ROM and also upgrade to the latest Android version which was not possible with the Stock ROM till your device’s bootloader was locked.
- You can also overclock and underclock the performance of your phone, which will also increase the battery life of your device.
- You can delete system apps, that was not possible earlier with the bootloader locked.
- Rooting your device will delete all the data and factory reset your phone. Well, this won’t be an issue if you have taken a backup of your data.
- If something went wrong during the process, then your device can get bricked and you won’t be able to boot it again.
- Unlocking the bootloader can also increase security vulnerabilities, and your data may not be private anymore.
- If your OEM doesn’t allow you to unlock the bootloader, then it will void the warranty. However, many brands do officially allow unlocking the bootloader. If your mobile phone brand allows unlocking the bootloader, then it won’t void its warranty.
What Are The Prerequisites To Take Care Of Before Unlocking Bootloader Of Your Device?
Unlocking the bootloader of SM-G950U isn’t a complicated process, but if you don’t know certain things before getting started with the process, then it can lead to some serious issues.
Therefore, it is essential to know all the prerequisites before unlocking the bootloader.
- Ensure you charge your device to 80% before continuing with the process. You won’t be able to charge your phone during the process, so if the battery discharges in between the process, then it can permanently damage your phone.
- Unlocking your bootloader will delete all the data from your phone and it will reset it, so it is essential to have a backup before you get started with the process.
- Ensure you use the original data cable to continue with the process of unlocking the bootloader of your device.
- Also ensure you have a proper internet connection, because you may need it to download certain files to unlock the bootloader.
Unlocking Bootloader Of Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U
You will need a PC to unlock your device. To unlock the bootloader of SM-G950U, follow the steps given below-
Firstly, download and install ADB and fastboot tools on your PC. You can download the tool from this link.
Now, you will have to enable OEM unlock option and USB debugging. Given below are the steps to enable this option on your phone-
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Head to the About phone section and then tap on System information.
- Here you will have to tap on Build number a few times until you see a message ‘You are now a developer.’
- You will have to tap 5-6 times continuously to enable the Developer options. However, if you see the message ‘No need, developer mode has already been enabled’ then that means Developer Options has been turned on and you can move to the next step.
- Now head back to the main menu of the Settings app.
- Here search for Developer Options/Mode and tap on it.
- Look out of OEM unlock toggle in the Developer options and enable it.
- Also, enable the USB debugging option from here.
- Now connect your phone to your PC using the data cable.
- Head to the folder where you have installed or extracted the ADB and fastboot tools.
- Here, on the address bar type, CMD and hit Enter to open Command Prompt.
- Or you can hold the Shift key, right-click anywhere inside the folder and click on Open in Windows Terminal.
- Now in the Command Prompt, type adb reboot bootloader and hit Enter to reboot your device.
- Next, type the command adb devices and execute it to ensure your device is connected to your PC properly.
- If your device’s serial number appears on the Command Prompt, then that means your device has been properly connected to your PC.
- Now run the command fastboot oem unlock.
- Wait for the process to complete and it will unlock the bootloader of your device.
- You will have to reboot your device.
- To reboot it, type the command fastboot reboot and hit Enter.
- Your device will now reboot normally and the bootloader will be unlocked.
Check If The Bootloader Has Been Successfully Unlocked Or Not
After you are done with the process, it is essential to check whether you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your device or not.
There are two ways to check the status of the bootloader. You can do it from within your phone as well as with the help of the PC.
Check Bootloader Status Using Phone
To check whether your bootloader has been unlocked or not, follow the steps given below-
- Open the Dialer pad on your phone.
- In the dialer pad enter- *#*#7378423*#*
- After you do so, you will see a new window open up.
- Here open Service Information and then open Settings/Configurations.
- Now it will show either of the two messages- ‘Bootloader Unlock Allowed-Yes’ or ‘Bootloader Unlocked-Yes’.
- Bootloader Unlock Allowed-Yes – If this message appears then that means that the bootloader is locked.
- Bootloader Unlocked-Yes – If you see this message then the bootloader is unlocked.
Check Bootloader Status Using PC
To check bootloader status using PC, follow the steps given below-
- Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable and ensure USB debugging is enabled.
- Head to the folder where you have installed or extracted ADB and fastboot tools.
- In the address bar of the folder, type CMD and hit Enter to open Command Prompt. You can either hold the Shift key, right-click anywhere inside the folder, and then click on Open in Windows Terminal.
- In the Command Prompt, type fastboot devices and hit Enter to check if the device is detected by your PC or not.
- If your device is detected then type, fastboot oem device-info, and hit enter. This will show you the bootloader status of your device, whether it is unlocked or not.
That was the complete process to help you unlocked the bootloader of your SM-G950U.
Follow all the steps correctly, and you will be able to successfully unlock the bootloader of your SM-G950U.
We hope this article helps you with unlocking the bootloader of your device.