If you have just found out that your TikTok Profile Picture is not changing or showing up in the first place then you are not alone.
We have seen several users complaint about the same thing on various forums saying that their TikTok Profile Picture is not getting changed.
One of the most common complaints from TikTok users is that their profile picture is not getting changed even after they updated the same and it just shows the default blank photo on their profile.
Some users also get the same “Profile photo/video updates are not available at this time. Thanks for your patience”
If the above error message is what you got then it is most probably not your fault but the problem is on TikTok’s end.
Some users also received the “No Internet Connection. Connect to the internet and try again” error as well.
Even worse is reports from some users, as per Pletaura, that they were hit with Community Guideline strikes for just changing their profile picture and uploading a new selfie which the algorithm obviously couldn’t understand.
However, you don’t need to worry anymore as we have got the solutions to fix the TikTok Profile Picture not changing or showing up issues and we will share them with you in this article as well.
Also Read: 7 Ways to Fix Instagram not showing story or highlight views?
Table of Contents
How to Fix TikTok Profile Picture not changing or showing up
1. Restart the TikTok app
The first thing you need to do when the TikTok Profile Picture is not changing or showing up even after you have changed it is to restart the TikTok app.
Because it is quite possible that a bug in the TikTok app is causing the Profile Picture to not show up even after being changed.
- To restart the TikTok app, first of all close the app on your phone.
- After that, remove it from the recents screen as well and then force stop the app if you can.
- Once you have done, wait for a few seconds and then open the TikTok app once again.
Now, check if the TikTok Profile Picture is updated or not. If it is then it means that there was a bug inside the app.
2. Check TikTok Server Status
If the first method does not work then it could be a problem on Twitter’s end as well because TikTok may be down and you are trying to access it which will obviously not happen.
To check TikTok’s server status, you need to first go to DownDetector.com or visit this link which will take you directly to TikTok’s server status page.
If you are on Twitter then there is an even better way to check if there is any outage on TikTok or not.
We're aware that some people experienced app issues earlier today. We've been working on a fix, and your experience should be returning to normal soon 🎉
— TikTokSupport (@TikTokSupport) September 16, 2021
You just need to follow the @TikTokSupport account on Twitter and you will know all the updates whether or not TikTok is having issues from this account’s tweets.
3. Use a VPN
If you can then we recommend you to use a VPN such as Nord in order to access TikTok from different locations in order to change your TikTok Profile Picture and see if it is working or not.
We have seen many users say that if they tried to change their TikTok Profile Picture from their own location it did not work but when they did using a virtual private connection, it worked.
Once you are done with changing your profile picture on TikTok, you can disable your VPN as well in order to browse content from your location.
4. Test your Internet Connection
The next thing you need to do whenever you are facing the TikTok Profile Picture not changing or showing up error is to test your internet connection.
It is possible that the profile picture is not getting uploaded as your internet connection is either not working or is very slow.
- So, to check your internet connection, you need to go to a website such as Fast.com.
- On the website, just start the test and you will see the results after a minute or less.
Check if the internet speeds are similar to what you were getting before or not and if the speeds are slower, try and contact your internet service provider to tell them about the issue you are facing with slow speeds.
5. Try using a different photo as your TikTok PFP
One thing we have found to be working for several TikTok users is the fact that they were able to solve the TikTok Profile Picture not changing or showing up issue by using a different photo.
It is possible that the TikTok algorithm is causing issues for your profile picture as it detects something in the picture that it finds to be a violation and flags it.
In that case, only a manual review of your photo will be able to pass it and set it as your TikTok Profile Photo.
So, if you are okay with it then you can use a different photo for your TikTok Profile and it will be set as your TikTok Profile Picture immediately and it means that the picture you were using before was internally flagged as suspicious.
6. Update the TikTok app
If you are still facing issues with the TikTok app then you need to update the TikTok app from the Google Play Store for Android and App Store for iOS devices.
- Go to your respective app store and go to the TikTok listing.
- Check if there is an update available for TikTok on these platforms.
- If there is an update available, hit the Update button as soon as possible.
Once the TikTok app is updated, try to change the profile picture once again and we are sure that the TikTok Profile Picture will get changed as the update might iron out the bugs inside the app.
7. Clear TikTok app’s cache
If the TikTok app is up-to-date and there is no update available then you can clear the TikTok app’s cache which is available right inside the app’s Settings.
To delete the TikTok app’s cache, follow these steps:
- Go to your Profile on TikTok by clicking on Me from the bottom bar. Now, tap on the three dot icon to open the Menu.
- This will open the Settings screen and you will see the Clear Cache button when you scroll down.
For Android users, there is another way as well.
- Open Settings on your Android phone and go to Apps & Notifications and choose TikTok from the list.
- Choose Storage & Cache and click on Clear Cache and then you can also click on Clear Data.
Once the cache and data of your TikTok app is cleared, you can close the app and then open it again.
Now, try to change your TikTok Profile Picture and we are sure that you won’t see the error messages again.
8. Report the issue to TikTok support
If everything else fails then the last thing you can do is report the issue to TikTok support who are known to be super helpful in the way that they solve almost all the problems.
You can contact Twitter support either via Twitter with the @TikTokSupport Twitter handle that we mentioned above.
If you are not on Twitter then you can contact TikTok support directly inside the app as well.
- Select Me from the bottom bar and tap on the Menu icon and you can access the Settings.
- Under Support, click on Report a Problem and choose Account and Profile under the Select a Topic section.
- Select Editing Profile on the next screen and then select Changing profile photo or video.
- On the next screen, under the Is your problem resolved?, select No and describe your problem in brief and submit the complaint.
Now, TikTok Support will respond to your complaint in the next 48 to 72 hours and you can follow the troubleshooting steps as per their guidance.
In this article, we have mentioned the best ways in order to solve the TikTok Profile Picture not changing or showing up issue.
We have also told you how to contact TikTok support which is the ultimate solution to your problem and they can analyse if the problem is at their end or yours.
In case you are facing other problems with TikTok then you can feel free to comment down below and we will help you solve those problems as well.