One can easily boot their device. All you have to do is, unlock the bootloader, install TWRP on your phone, and then root it with Magisk.
However, when rooting the device, you must be very careful with the process.
If you are rooting a device for the first time, then we are there to help you out. This is the detailed guide to help you unlock the bootloader, install TWRP, and root your Google Pixel 3.
However, before we continue with the process, we will be discussing what files you need, tips to take care of, and also the benefits of rooting your device.
Table of Contents
Benefits Of Rooting Your Device
Well, there’s not one but many benefits of rooting your device. Rooting does offer various benefits when compared to unrooted devices.
Given below are some of the benefits of rooting your device.
- You can get rid of bloatware. Many times, phones come with bloatware that you cannot remove. Rooting allows you to remove bloatware that you were not able to remove before.
- Rooting enables you to uninstall system apps.
- It allows you to have a complete backup of your device. Yes, the backup you do isn’t complete.
- Using the current backup setting of your phone, you will only be able to copy files and few settings.
- But rooting your phone allows you to have a complete backup and restore your device.
- You need not rely on the OEM to send the latest update. You can download the update and install it on your device if the OEM isn’t pushing out the OTA update for your device.
- Rooting your device also allows you to install custom ROMs on your device. Stock OS can be simple and not equipped with various features.
- Moreover, it can sometimes make your phone buggy and laggy. To overcome this issue, many people try installing custom ROMs on their devices.
- To do so, you will have to root your device first.
- You can overclock and underclock the processor. Rooting allows users to optimize their phones to enhance their performance and increase the battery life of their phones.
- Another benefit of rooting your device is, ability to completely customize your phone. After rooting, you can customize your phone the way you want.
Files To Download
You cannot get started with the rooting process until you have certain files. Given below are all the files that you will need during the process.
Tips To Take Care Of When Rooting Your Device
Before you root your device, there are certain things that you need to take care of.
- Ensure your phone is charged to 80% or more. Your phone should not shut down in between the process, or it can damage your device permanently. Therefore, you should consider charging your phone 80% or more.
- Take a backup of your phone. Rooting will delete all the data on your phone. So before you begin rooting, ensure you have the backup of your phone.
- Download the Android SDK and platform-tools from the above link and install them on your PC.
How To Unlock The Bootloader, Install TWRP, And Root Your Google Pixel 3
In this part of the article, we will be discussing how one can root their device. To get started, follow the steps ahead.
We have divided the complete process of rooting the Google Pixel 3 into 2 parts.
The first part will cover unlocking the bootloader, and installing TWRP, whereas the second part will tell you how to root your Google Pixel 3.
Unlocking Bootloader And Installing TWRP on Google Pixel 3
To unlock the bootloader and install TWRP on your phone, follow the steps below:
- Firstly, you will have to unlock the bootloader of your phone. To do so, head to the settings of your phone.
- Now in the settings, head to the about phone section, and tap on build number a few times.
- After tapping on the build number 6-7 times, you will see a notification at the bottom of your screen, stating that ‘You are now a developer.’
- Getting this notification means you have turned on developer options on your phone.
- Now head back to the settings menu of your phone, and search for developer options.
- In the developer options, you will see OEM unlocking and USB debugging toggle. Turn both of them on.
- Now connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable. Turn on file transfer, to transfer files between phone and computer.
- Copy the installer zip file to your phone’s internal storage.
- Next, you will have to boot your phone to Fastboot mode.
- Switch off your device, and then hold down the volume down + power button together for a few seconds to boot your phone to Fastboot mode.
- Ensure your phone is still connected to your PC using the USB cable, while you are in the Fastboot mode.
- Also, ensure you have Android SDK and platform tools installed on your PC.
- Copy the TWRP recovery image to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
- Now in the platform-tools folder, head to the address bar and type CMD, and hit enter to open the command prompt terminal.
- Now you will have to boot to TWRP recovery. To do so type in the command fastboot boot file-name.img in the command prompt and execute it.
- Replace file-name.img with the name of TWRP recovery image file. Know that .img is the extension, so you need not change it.
- You will be booted to the TWRP recovery image. In the TWRP recovery image, tap on install, and head to the location where you copied the TWRP installer zip earlier.
- Select the file, and then tap on Install. You will be asked to confirm by sliding the toggle. Slide the toggle to confirm flashing the file.
- Once done, you will have successfully installed TWRP on your Google Pixel 3.
- You can now reboot your phone normally.
Rooting Your Google Pixel 3 With Magisk
Now that you have installed TWRP on your device, you can easily root it.
To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable. Now turn on file transfer, and copy the Magisk file to the internal storage of the phone.
- Once done, power off your phone, and then press the volume down + power button combo for a few seconds while your device is switched off, to boot it to bootloader mode.
- When in bootloader mode, tap the volume buttons until you see ‘Recovery mode.’ As you see recovery mode, press the power button to boot your phone to recovery mode.
- In the TWRP recovery mode, tap on the Install button. Head to the location where you copied the Magisk file, and select it.
- Tap on the Install image option. Next, you will be asked to confirm the installation by swiping the toggle.
- Swipe the toggle to confirm the flash.
- The installation will start. Once the installation is completed, tap on the ‘Reboot System’ button to reboot your phone normally.
- Your phone will be successfully rooted. To check the root status, you can head to the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Here you will see all the options tick which means your phone is rooted successfully.
That was the complete process of rooting your Google Pixel 3.
The article in detail tells how to unlock the bootloader, install TWRP and root your device.
Hope you didn’t face any problem while rooting your phone.