LG VS986 or LG G4 is a smartphone launched by LG in 2015. The phone came with Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 along with Adreno 418 GPU.
Moreover, it has a 5.5inch IPS LCD, 3GB RAM, and 32GB storage. The phone is quite old has been discontinued by the brand now.
However, if you have got your hands on your old LG VS986, then you can try unlocking the bootloader and install new custom ROMs on it to bring it to use again.
Unlocking the bootloader on a device is easy, and you can easily do it even if you do not much have much technical knowledge.
If you are willing to root your VS986, then this article will help you with that. In this article, we will be discussing how you can unlock the bootloader of VS986.
Table of Contents
Pros And Cons Of Unlocking Bootloader Of VS986
There are several pros and cons of unlocking the bootloader of VS986. Given below are a few pros and cons of unlocking the bootloader of LG VS986.
- After you unlock the bootloader of your device, you can install custom recovery like TWRP on your phone. Moreover, you can also install custom ROMs on your phone, and have a different look and feel apart from stock ROM on your phone.
- Unlocking the bootloader of your phone allows you to overclock as well as underclock your phone. You can enhance the performance of your phone to the max to make it snappier like the first time. If you underclock your phone, then you can improve the battery life of your phone.
- You can install or update to the latest Android version after you have unlocked the bootloader of your phone.
- Unlocking the bootloader allows you to delete system apps on your phone, which were not possible to install earlier.
- Many devices allow rooting the device only after the bootloader has been unlocking. So if your device only gives root access when you have unlocked your device, then unlocking your device will allow you to have root access.
- When you unlock your phone, all of your data will be wiped out, and your phone will be reset.
- Unlocking the bootloader of your phone can make it vulnerable to security issues. Your device can be open to hackers for hacking your data.
- Unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty of your device. However, if your device is as old as VS986, then you need not worry about the warranty of your device getting void.
What To Know Before Rooting Your Device?
There are certain things that you need to know before you root your device. Ensure you do the following things before you begin rooting your phone-
- Ensure you charge your phone up to 80%, so that it won’t shut down in between the process due to the battery getting discharged.
- Take a backup of your device, because unlocking the bootloader will remove all the data from your phone. So, it is essential to take the backup so that you can restore your data later.
- Ensure you use the original data cable to continue with the process.
- Make sure you have a stable internet connection because you will be needing it to download the files required.
Unlocking The Bootloader Of VS986
Now that you have all the things ready, you are good to continue with the process of unlocking the bootloader.
Given below are the steps to unlock the bootloader of VS986:
Firstly, you will have to enable the OEM unlocking as well as the USB debugging on the device. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Open the Settings app on your Phone. In the Settings app, head to the About Phone section.
- Here tap on Build number a few times continuously until you see the ‘You are now a developer’ message on the screen.
- After you see this message, head back to the main menu of the Settings. Here, search for Developer options and open them.
- Now search for OEM unlock toggle in the Developer options and enable it. Similarly, enable USB debugging toggle here.
- Now download and install the ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC. You can download the tool from this link. Remember the folder where you are installing the tool.
- Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable.
- Now head to the location where you have installed or extracted ADB and Fastboot Tools. In the address bar, type CMD and hit Enter to open CMD here. You can either hold the shift key, right-click anywhere in the folder, and then click on Open in Windows Terminal.
- Now you will have to enter fastboot mode. There are two methods to do so-
- Turn off your device, and then hold the Volume Up + Power key. Wait till your device boots up and you will be booted to fastboot mode.
- You can either type adb reboot bootloader in the command prompt and then hit Enter to access fastboot mode.
- Now you will have to get the device identification number. To do so, type fastboot oem device-id in the command prompt and hit Enter.
- This will display two alphanumeric strings on the screen. You will have to copy and paste them into the notepad. Ensure there is no space between the two strings that you paste.
- In this step, you will have to download the unlocking file. To do so-
- Head to the official website of LG Dev. Here scroll down to find Start Unlocking Bootloader and click on it.
- You will be asked to sign in to your LG account. Fill in your login credentials and then click on Sign in to continue ahead.
- You will have to paste the Device ID that you copied earlier. Paste the Device ID without spaces.
- You will also have to paste the IMEI number of your phone. On the dialer pad of your phone, dial *#06# and you will get the IMEI number. Paste this number on the website.
- After you have filled in the details, click on Confirm.
- Now you will get a mail from LG with the file to unlock your phone. Download the file.
- If the name of the file is not unlock.bin then rename it to unlock.bin and move it to the ADB and fastboot tools folder.
- Now in the command prompt, type the command flash unlock unlock.bin and hit Enter. This will unlock the bootloader of your device.
- Now you will have to reboot your phone normally. To do so, type fastboot reboot in the command prompt and execute it.
You will have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your phone by doing so.
How To Check If The Bootloader Of The Phone Is Unlocked Or Not?
There are two ways to check whether the bootloader of your VS986 is unlocked or not.
The very first method uses mobile only to check the status of the bootloader, whereas the second method uses both mobile and PC to check the status of the bootloader.
Check Bootloader Unlock Status Using Mobile
To check the unlock status of the bootloader using mobile, follow the steps given below-
- Open the Dialpad or the Phone app on your phone.
- Here dial the number *#*#7378423*#*#
- Now a new window will pop up. Here, open Service Information.
- Now open Settings/Configurations.
- You will now see either of the two messages on the screen- ‘Bootloader Unlock Allowed-Yes’ or ‘Bootloader Unlocked-Yes’
- Bootloader Unlock Allowed-Yes: If you see this message, then this means the bootloader is locked.
- Bootloader Unlocked-Yes: If this message appears on your screen, then this means that the bootloader has been unlocked.
Check Bootloader Unlock Status Using PC
To check the unlock status of the bootloader using PC, follow the steps given below-
- Head to the folder where you have extracted or installed ADB and fastboot tool.
- Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable. Ensure you enable USB debugging.
- Now on the address bar in this folder, type CMD and hit Enter to open Command Prompt. You can either press the Shift key on your keyboard, and then right-click anywhere in the folder, and then click on Open in Windows Terminal.
- Now in the Command Prompt, type fastboot devices and hit Enter to check if your device has been connected or not.
- If this shows the serial number of your device, then that means your device has been properly connected.
- Now, type fastboot oem device-info and then hit Enter. This will display the status of your bootloader, telling you whether the bootloader of your phone has been unlocked or not.
This is the complete guide to help you unlock the bootloader of your phone. Following the above steps, you will be able to unlock the bootloader of your device. We hope this article helps you unlock the bootloader of your device.